Monday, May 23, 2005

Day 4

17 May Day 4
I woke up at 0640 or so, then brushed teeth. At the bush nearby, I still had some water collected from the campsite yesterday. I used that to brush teeth because the route to the water source for drinkable water is very steep and slippery. We set off from Kubang to Bonsai then Bukit Botak.
At about 0730 like that, we ate our breakfast and started to pack our things by 0838. Nearing to 9am, we began to set off. It was a trek back to the trek we took yesterday and now it is armed with ‘motion with toilet papers’. And so we shooed some and continue the trek to the summit that day. We had to quicken our pace to reach the summit in time before sunset and dinner start.
Thus we made our way into the jungle trek once again. The soil for the past two days was not so bad. We also did not encountered any raining during the process of the trek from one campsite to another. But today the soil was so muddy that one of my friend, he is a smoker by nature and so he likes walking at the back. He got his food in a mud patch so deep that when he lifted his leg to walk again, it was the size of an elephant foot.
Then by late afternoon at 1410, we had our lunch at Bonsai. It was made up of bread and Kaya spreading, self-service. After that, some of us wanted to go at a faster pace, because we were behind time. And then we still had 3.5km to go. So 5 of us from group 3 decided to chiok (rushed) through to reach the last camp before the summit, Bukit Botak. One of the guide by the name of Ah Pet (I supposed spelled this way), took the lead, when we are supposed to go first, he chiok all the way me following third. The 5 of us are Ah Pet, Michael, Me, Rilwan & Raudha. We finished the whole trip from Bonsai to Bukit Botak in between 30 to 35 minutes. While the rest took a total of about an hour, which was already quite fast. They travelled faster, a distance of 3.5km in an hour, a breakthrough.
At Bukit Botak, only the five of us reached there first, thereafter is the potters and then the rest of the students who went for the trip. I felt a sense of achievement then. I took several photographs along the way and at the summit. I rolled a film while coming up from Bonsai and then after descending from the Summit Gunung Tahan, it finished. What a nice timing!
When everyone were already at Bukit Botak. We pitched our tents before going up the summit. After pitching the tent for a while, it rained. This is the first rain we encountered, on the third day of going up the summit.
Mr Guru made fun of her Shu Zhen again, ”Why people say tiger and not tigress?” The inside meaning says that she is not a gal lah!
On the way up, one can see little trickles of water passing by. Unusually seen pitcher plants of various colours were also found. It is amazing to see plant species of height less than a feet to be growing under your feet.
At the Summit of Gunung Tahan, I took several photographs of the scenery and the plate ’Gunung Tahan’. It was very cooling up there! And a Malay friend, Hairul, took off his clothes. At first I was thinking it was so mad, but later on, I too took it off. I crafted my name on the stone at the summit for remembrance. To say we boys are mad, how about the gals? They too took off their clothes to Sports Bra, haha. Striptease! Hehe!
From Bukit Botak to Summit Gunung Tahan, it was an easier thing to go up, but when one is coming down from the summit, one will feel the pressure to go down especially the slope down is very steep and rocky. To add on, it rained again when we are coming down from the summit.
After the coming down, almost everyone was drenched, except those who are already fast enough to reach the campsite. Anyway what a fun time! After dinner that day I went to pay a visit to the loo again. What! No loo? Everywhere is Loo. What a cooling sensation to be able to ‘Ahem’ on the mountain top. And ya here there is a proper place for bathing, but the temperature at that attitude can feel the cold breeze already. 1904m above sea level.
Then there was dinner at around 8.30pm. I then washed my mess tin and cup for drinking. There was a debrief for the day. And boy! Here the water is refreshing to the core. I guessed the rain that fell just now had dampened everyone’s spirit to continue being active. Although we did carry on with our talk that night, we fell drowsy, maybe because of the wet weather. After those talking, we hanged around the campfire for some warmth, then I asked Yong Zhi to go for a leak. Then one of the guide by the name of Mr Ong (an experienced mountain guide) told us and a few Malay guys – Zaki, Kadir, Rilwan and a few others to go see the cities and towns across the mountain. So we gave our fertilisers on the way up and then enjoy the majestic view down. At first, we did not see it clearly, because of the thick passing clouds. Then we enjoyed it. That was also a good spot for star-gazing. Next I saw what I almost cannot see in urban life, the luminous plant shoots growing on the mountain top.
After the viewing, we did not want to go back yet, so we talked a while more, and Kadir mentioned about the 3rd door of Charlie Platoon. After hearing that and because of the land breeze blowing cold air belts, we started to make our way back to the campsite for sleeping.
I slept in Michael’s tent which is Yong Zhi’s tent. I too lazy to go back to my own tent and their tent is nearer. So I took a sleep till next morning, but it was not a comfortable sleep at all because the weather is freezing cold and my jacket is outside my tent. Luckily for me, Yong Zhi lend me his jacket when he got his sleeping bag on. As I took someone’s place in Michael’s tent, Zaki had to stayed out. Blame it on my laziness. Some more it rained heavily last night. Sorry.The order of the movement of groups is 3, 1 then 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

:: Jolin ½²¨ÌªL J-game ³¥ÆZ¹CÀ¸ ::
lion heart midi Your browser doesn't support the EMBED tag, but you can still listen to the music on this page by <a href="http://bestboynewb.bravehost.com/music%20file/lion%20heart%20midi.mid">clicking here.</a>